- Software packages
- About me
Find me more @
More on Google
Alex Sim is a senior computing engineer in Scientific Data Management group
under Computational Research division at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
Over the last twenty five years,
he has worked on R&D in data analysis and management fields for scientific and industrial disciplines such as
climate change simulation,
high energy physics,
power grid electricity
and behavioral economics.
His recent research area includes
high-frequency streaming data analysis methods,
dynamic resource management,
I/O optimization issues for exascale HPC applications,
statistical modeling and machine learning methods
for autonomic scientific data infrastructure.
He has contributed to
paper publications and technical reports,
a number of open source software packages,
and multiple patented and patent pending technologies.
He has extensive grant proposal writing experience and led projects from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and National Science Foundation (NSF) as a lead Principal Investigator (PI) or Co-PI,
He also has involved in technical program committees, steering and advisory committees for conferences, journal editorial boards, review panels
in data, cloud computing, HPC, and networking areas.
He is a senior member of IEEE.
- Selected projects
Data Analysis and Machine Learning Efforts
Publications from student projects
- Selected publications
- S. Kim, A. Sim, K. Wu, S. Byna, Y. Son, H. Eom, "Towards HPC I/O performance prediction through large- scale log analysis", ACM International Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC 2020), 2020. doi:10.1145/3369583.3392678
- Q. Kang, A. Sim, P. Nugent, S. Lee, W.K. Liao, A, Agrawal, A. Choudhary, K. Wu, "Predicting Resource Requirement in Intermediate Palomar Transient Factory Workflow", the 20th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Internet Computing (CCGrid 2020), 2020.
- J. Kim, A. Sim, "A new approach to multivariate network traffic analysis", Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 2019, 34(2):388-402, doi: 10.1007/s11390-019-1915-y.
- A. Lazar, L. Jin, C. A. Spurlock, K. Wu, A. Sim, A. Todd, "Evaluating the Effects of Missing Values and Mixed Data Types on Social Sequence Clustering Using t-SNE Visualization", ACM Journal of Data and Information Quality, 2019, 11:7:1-7:22, doi: 10.1145/3301294.
- J. Kim, A. Sim, B. Tierney, S. Suh, I. Kim, "Multivariate Network Traffic Analysis using Clustered Patterns", Journal of Computing, Springer, 2018. doi:10.1007/s00607-018-0619-4.
- J. Wang, W. Yoo, A. Sim, P. Nugent, K. Wu, "Parallel Variable Selection for Effective Performance Prediction", the 17th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid2017), doi:10.1109/CCGRID.2017.47, 2017
- D. Lee, A. Sim, J. Choi, K. Wu, "Novel Data Reduction Based on Statistical Similarity", Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management (SSDBM2016), 2016.
- W. Yoo, A. Sim, "Time-series Forecast Modeling on High-Bandwidth Wide Area Network Measurements", Journal of Grid Computing, Vol. 14, Issue 3, pp 463-476, Sep. 2016.
- T. Kim, D. Lee, J. Choi, A. Spurlock, A. Sim, A. Todd, K. Wu, "Extracting Baseline Electricity Usage Using Gradient Tree Boosting", International Conference on Big Data Intelligence and Computing (DataCom 2015), 2015, Best Paper Award
- K. Hu, J. Choi, A. Sim, J. Jiang, "Best Predictive Generalized Linear Mixed Model with Predictive Lasso for High-Speed Network Data Analysis", International Journal of Statistics and Probability, vol. 4, no. 2, p132-148, 2015
- Other documents